Sunday, November 22, 2015

Home Preservation

Around Halloween, our neighbor was throwing out pears from his tree. He asked if we wanted any, and when we agreed he gave us two giant sacks full. (We foisted off one to our farm share friend.) Then everything went pear-shaped and we didn't get around to preserving them until this weekend. Fortunately, just enough were this side of rotten so we could make pear salsa. We used this recipe from the Ball Complete Book of Home Preserving. (It's not that complete because we were looking for pear chutney, oh well.) The rest of the day was filled with bringing in the garden supplies/decor, grocery shopping, making an ill-informed trip to Home Goods for some holiday napkins, and finishing up the seasonal clothing switch. So, yeah, the pear salsa was the highlight of my day! (It's only eight more days. Hold out hope!)

5 comments:

Margaret said...

They look good! I've not heard of Pear Salsa - is it a condiment with cold meats, rather like Branston Pickle?

Julie said...

Bet that's tasty.
I have a batch of apples that's been given to me and I really must make time to process those before they go rotten.

Caroline said...

Like Julie, I have a bag of windfall apples from a neighbour that really must be processed in the next coupole of days. Your pear salsa looks delicious!

Anonymous said...

I have never heard of pear salsa. A new endeavor for next autumn! :)

Beth W said...

How wonderful to have fresh, free product to can and last you through the winter! I need some generous neighbors with fruiting trees....